Monday, January 28, 2013

Perfect Moment Monday: Baristas

My husband likes a good coffee. A very good coffee. He has a kick-ass espresso machine, a grinder, and even a coffee roaster (and green beans), because, of course, fresh roasted coffee is the best. He will not walk into a Starbucks for a coffee. Because ever since they changed from real espresso machines to the full-automatic ones and their personnel are no longer fully trained baristas, but just people who can push a button and burn the milk (his words). He does however miss the great coffee shop with real baristas (who would win barista championships) that we had in the US city where we used to live. He finds the coffee in most French cafés and restaurants too bitter...

At home, he used to be alone in his coffee passion. I like to drink tea...

But since about a year and a half, he has found a new partner in crime: our 3.5 year old son is being trained to be the new barista world champion (and truth be told, if hubby is not around and someone would come over and would like a coffee, I think my son would make a better cup than me!).

The coffee-making usually only happens on the weekends, and the Perfect Moment came to me on a recent Sunday. I had just put our youngest son down for his morning nap and was in the bathroom about to enjoy a long shower, when I heard my husband and son in the kitchen, preparing to make some coffee. Our son asked lots of (sometimes even technical) questions, and hubby explained everything patiently. It was such a joy to listen to these two guys, enjoying their weekend morning ritual of making a good cup of coffee together.



-----------------


Perfect Moment Monday is about noticing a perfect moment rather than creating one. Perfect moments can be momentous or ordinary or somewhere in between.

On the last Monday of each month we engage in mindfulness about something that is right with our world. Everyone is welcome to join.

7 comments:

Valery said...

Mine too!
We're 'only' in the stage of the espresso machine (it even has a name: Silvia, from the Rancilio brand)
When we will have a bigger kitchen I'll try and see again if he doesn't want the grinder, but can't see us roasting anytime soon, since he likes the dutch beans just fine.

Tea for me, OR hot frothy chocolate milk! (chocomel) I'm not quite the expert he is, but it makes for many magic Sunday moments.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Oh, this is awesome. Your son's budding interest is sure to benefit YOU, as well.

I bet watching your boys huddle over their common passion was a sweet moment. Love it!

Justine L said...

Here from PMM ... I love a good cup of coffee, too, and my daughter loves making it with me! We scald milk properly ... but we don't roast our own beans. I'm not sure she will win a world championship, but I'd never thought of this as a perfect moment until you described yours. Thank you!!

Mrs. O'Connell said...

Awesome moment! I love when I over hear special moments. They think no one is watching. Priceless.

Kathy said...

What a great moment to overhear, as Amy said. I am not a coffee drinker either, but appreciate the fine art of making things that we enjoy consuming and how precious it is to pass that on to the next generation. Thank you for sharing! Great to see you via PMM this week!

I will see you again on Friday for the Winter Shed and hope you are having a good week! :)

Laughing Yoga Mama said...

What a sweet scene to capture. Boys and dads bonding is a beautiful thing! :)

Laughing Yoga Mama said...

What a sweet scene to capture. Boys and dads bonding is a beautiful thing! :)