Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Sunday Child lucky charm


I remember when Kathy introduced the Time Warp Tuesday blog hop for the first time, I commented on her post saying that I would definitely participate. I just checked on her blog, that was September 2011… Well, better late than never, so here's my first Time Warp Tuesday post! This month's topic is luck.

I wrote about luck in January 2009 when I was pregnant with M. Sensible, it's a pretty dark post, talking about the lost charm of being a "Sunday Child" and my frustration about not being able to find work here in France.

What I wrote about there can on occasion still frustrate me, but I've come a lot further. I stopped moaning about my lost career and have accepted that I'm just in a different place now, where I try to juggle being a mom and doing freelance work (there is a post about that brewing in my head too). Above all, that post is only talking about my professional life. Granted, even though I was pregnant when I wrote it I didn't have kids yet, so there didn't seem to be much else as important in life as a career. I now know that I'm happiest when I've found a good balance between taking care of my kids and doing work I like. This is not at all easy, but I've come to realize that I'm a lot more relaxed when I savor what I have than when I constantly strive for things that might stay out of my reach (wow, that Positive Psychology workshop I followed last year did help!).

Coming back to the other part of that post, of whether I've found my lucky charm again… Yes I have. That pregnancy resulted in a healthy baby and a now thriving preschooler, who also has a little brother who starts sharing (read: stealing) his toys. My professional life is still a bit "stay-at-home-mom doing some projects on the side" (as hubby labeled my activity recently) but that's okay. I've also had some luck with finding lost items again, the best story is this: my iPhone fell out of my pocket on a high way rest area last summer when we were on our way back from Holland - I noticed it about 40 km later… It was a toll road so we took the next exit and the people at the toll booth contacted the people near the rest area (which was at the entrance of the toll road) while hubby kept calling my number… After about 20 minutes the toll booth person picked up - a high schooler had found it, wanted to keep it but a trucker had told him/her to hand it in (so we turned around, paid a lot of toll that day and came home very late, but at least I didn't have to buy a new phone!).

3 comments:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Two healthy kids and a recovered iPhone? Yes, it sounds like you have found your lucky charm again.

And YES about finding balance between kids and fulfilling work. YES, YES.

Kathy said...

Welcome to Time Warp Tuesdays! I had forgotten that you commented on my original post with intentions to participate and I guess today is my lucky day that you finally made good on that statement! :) I really like that post you chose to reflect on and how you have been able to compare and contrast where you were then to how you are now. So interesting! I was pregnant when I wrote the post I chose to revisit, also from January 2009 and it is amazing to see how far we have come since then. Thanks again for doing the Time Warp with us this month! I would love for you to join us again in April or another time! I consider myself lucky to have gotten to know you through the blogosphere! :)

St Elsewhere said...

Time Warp...yes, I mean to do it someday too. Someday.

I am glad that you have been able to find a balance that lets you savour your home life, and not let your talent go waste.

Once Mr. Gourmand grows up more, would you be willing to return to full-time work? Do you think of it?

Congrats on recovering your phone.